Blue Butterfly Pea Powder 100% Organic & Natural | Caffeine-free Energy Booster, Anti-oxidant & Plant-based Food Color of Vibrant Blue & Purple Hues 1.25 Oz
Butterfly Pea Flower
Other Names: Blue-Pea, Aprajita, Cordofan Pea or Asian Pigeonwings
Beverage Names: Blue Matcha, Blue Tea, “Nam Dok Anchan” in Thai
Flavor: Neutral to mild and earthy or woody, similar to fine green tea
Color: Deep blue to violet
Origin: Thailand and throughout Southeast Asia
From Thailand With Love
It’s no secret the butterfly pea flower or “dok anchan” plays a role in the Thai culinary world. At home on one of our permaculture farms in Thailand, we’ve always picked the wild-growing flowers and tossed a few fresh petals into the rice cooker to make blue rice to complement a savory orange-ish young papaya and garlic stir-fry. Imagine how satisfying the flavors of coconut milk drizzled over blue sweet sticky rice and succulent mango matches the eye-popping colors of this popular dessert. Or you can simply enjoy it as hot or cold beverage, which is often provided after a relaxing massage or spa treatment in Thailand.
Long used as a food and beverage ingredient, butterfly pea flower has also been used to promote hair growth. It’s not uncommon for Thai mothers to paint their babies’, or even their own, eyebrows with fresh bright blue petals to thicken them. Full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, it’s the anthocyanins, or pigments that give the flower its deep blue/purple color. You can now stay healthy and have fun experimenting with this naturally grown and organic natural food color or dye.
Let’s Talk Antioxidants
Most of us can appreciate anything that helps fight off nasty free radicals. You’ll get a concentrated boost of proanthocyanidins, which support skin collagen and elasticity, and vibrant blue anthocyanins known to support hair and eye health. Other than helping with premature ageing, impeding the progression of cataracts, and expelling cancer-causing free radicals, it’s the next best thing to the fountain of youth.
Some of the more notable properties of the butterfly pea flower (BPF) include:
- Anti-inflammatory: a natural way to ward off pain causing inflammation.
- Antimicrobial: fight against various bacteria and fungi activity.
- Antidiabetic: lower sugar level.
- Diuretic: isolated anthocyanins in the petals help flush out toxins.
- Blood Platelet Aggregation Inhibitor: Prevent clot formation.
A Taste of Ayurvedic Medicine
Getting and staying healthy is challenging enough. Finding a balance between mind, body, and spirit is another level most of us don’t have time to map out in our brains. So one less thing to think about is always a bonus. Consuming butterfly pea flower when cooking blue rice, added to hydrating coconut water, or on its own as a tea, you’ll reap the benefits of this medicinal plant.
Other known uses in Asian medicine include:
- Improving memory and cognitive function – Who doesn’t want more brainpower?
- Reduce stress - Daily grind be gone.
- Attain tranquility – A calming natural sedative, stave off bouts of anxiety and depression.
- Enhance mood - Known to help with the libido, especially for women.
- Caffeine-free, sugar-free. No chemicals, preservatives, or additives.
- High concentration of antioxidant.
- Reduce inflammation, alleviate stress, enhance cognitive function, & promote vitality and healthy aging.
- Blue rice, purple sorbets, and pink cocktails, have fun coloring your food and beverages naturally. Or simply mix with hot or cold water and enjoy as a color-changing tea by adding lemon or lime.
- 100% Organic, Natural & Vegan: Authentic Thai butterfly pea flowers (clitoria ternatea) from small family farms. Organic certified by Thailand’s Department of Agriculture.
Nana’s Butterfly Pea Flower Comes in 3 Different Forms:
Whole Flower Dried